Home    About the Trust    Collections & Archives
News    History    Muniment Room    Contact us

Welcome! Do you want to join in? If you already have an account, sign in now. If not, create one now.

North Stoneham Park Farm

From The Muniment Room, a resource for social history, family history, and local history.

(Redirected from Park Farm)
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the home farm at North Stoneham Park, and must be distinguished from North Stoneham Farm.

North Stoneham Park Farm, usually known as plain Park Farm, was the home farm at North Stoneham Park on the Stoneham Estate. The dairy herd there was known as Stoneham Dairy, and grazed Avenue Park.

This photo might be of Park Farm - can anyone confirm this, and identify the people?
This photo might be of Park Farm - can anyone confirm this, and identify the people?

Until 1874, the farm's buildings and yard were sited on the edge of the park, near the Cricketers Arms at Middle Stoneham, and comprised a barn, cowshed, piggeries, and cart sheds. There was no farmhouse. Because of their prominent position near the north end of the Avenue at Avenue Park, it is probable that the farm buildings facing towards old North Stoneham House had an ornamental aspect. In 1874, the farm buildings were destroyed by fire[1].

Following the fire, the barns were rebuilt, serving instead as the farm buildings for the southern portion of newly partitioned Middle Farm (which later became known as Doncaster Farm).

After 1874, the Coach House and Stables at the centre of the park became Park Farm's buildings and yard, and by 1881 the Coach House was converted into a residence.

In the early 20th century, Park Farm was 'a mixed farm, mainly dairy, but at times there were a few sheep and geese and chickens with a little arable nearest the woods'[2]. The Estate's sawmill was at Park Farm.

Tenants and occupiers of Park Farm

  • Elizabeth Hartnell (1851)
  • Robert Hopkins (-1856)
  • Harry Eyles (1860-65[3])
  • George Amos West (1870)[4]
  • Edward Brown (of Doncaster Cottage) (1874)
This article about a farm on the Fleming Estate is in need of expansion. You can help The Muniment Room by adding to it.


  1. 'A DISASTROUS FIRE.- A fire broke out of Saturday at Park Farm, North Stoneham, in the occupation of Mr. Edward Brown, of Southampton, which resulted in the complete destruction of the farm buildings, consisting of a barn, cowshed, piggeries, and cart sheds, together with the farm implements, a rick of hay, two parts of hay ricks, a straw rick, 24 pigs, two goats, and a calf. The horses were with some difficulty extricated, but the man who was employed in doing it was somewhat severely burnt. The fire was discovered about twenty minutes past one at the top of the barn, and no opinion can be formed as to its origin. The flames rapidly extended, and there being no water near at hand the fire literally burnt itself out. The buildings, which are the property of Mr. Fleming, were insured; and Mr Brown is insured in the Royal Farmers' Office.' Hampshire Telegraph, 25 July 1874.
  2. Gamekeepers and the Shoot on the Stoneham Estate, remembered by D A Bunce
  3. Estate Rent Roll for North Stoneham, South Stoneham, Chilworth, Romsey, Isle of Wight  (WFMS:2540 )
  4. Hampshire Advertiser, 10 Sep 1870
Personal tools